School Reopening Information
Dear NCS Parents:
On Friday, August 7, Governor Cuomo announced that schools would be able to reopen for in-person learning in the fall as long as New York State did not experience a resurgence in COVID-19 cases. Additionally, he also asked that schools post information about COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, and how remote learning would be provided for parents to review. I have tried to capture key parts of our reopening plan below, but would invite you to join us for a Zoom conversation next week to talk in more detail about remote and in-person learning at NCS.
Because the District is not a medical facility, NCS will not be testing students or staff members displaying symptoms of COVID-19. However, to ensure the safety of the entire school community, students will have to complete daily health screenings before boarding buses or being dropped off at school. If they display symptoms of COVID-19 while at school, they will be placed in a designated isolation space, evaluated, and supervised by one of our school nurses. Once the symptoms are confirmed, the symptomatic individual will remain in the isolation room until they are picked up by a parent or guardian. If the symptomatic individual is picked up by a parent or guardian, they will be encouraged to visit their pediatrician, physician, urgent care facility, or a local testing facility. Individuals who are symptomatic will not be allowed to return to school until they reach clearance in accordance with the Department of Health guidance. Throughout the process, the District will work closely with the Ontario County Department of Public Health as well as Workfit Medical to ensure that all proper protocols are followed.
If a student or staff member is diagnosed with COVID-19 and contact tracing is necessary, the District will be notified by the Ontario County Department of Health. To support needed contact tracing, NCS will keep accurate attendance records, student schedules, visitor logs, and seating charts, and will follow all guidelines provided through the NYS Contact Tracing Program. Throughout the process, the District will communicate appropriate information to families, while at the same time protecting the medical confidentiality that is required by state and federal guidelines.
Throughout the reopening planning process, the District has focused on providing families with a choice of remote or in-person learning. To ensure that remote learning includes regular and substantive daily interaction, the following will be prioritized:
- Daily attendance
- 1:1 digital devices for all students and staff
- District purchased hot spots, flash drives, etc. for families lacking Internet access
- Outdoor Internet access in identified spaces
- Consistent learning management systems based on grade level (Seesaw, Schoology, Google Classroom)
- A combination of synchronous (live) and asynchronous learning opportunities
- Lesson design utilizing best practices, priority standards, clear outcomes, and opportunities for engagement
Click here to request a Zoom link for the following virtual meetings.
As we move closer to the start of school, we will continue to provide written, virtual, and in-person updates for families. However, if you have additional questions and would appreciate a phone call from someone at NCS, please do not hesitate to reach out (email@example.com; 585-374-7901).
- 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 18: High School Conversation on Remote Learning
- 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 18: High School Conversation on In-Person Learning
- 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 20: Elementary School Conversation on Remote Learning
- 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 20: Elementary School Conversation on In-Person Learning
Hoping this finds you safe, healthy, and well.